Installing a home security system may be costly, but not installing one could cost even more.
Protect Your Home and Family from Intruders
The biggest reason a home owner should consider installing a home security system is that it extends protection to family members from intruders. According to “Securing Home and Business” by Simon Hakim/Erwin Blackstone, homes without security systems are 2.7 times more likely to be targeted by a burglar. This indicates, that the mere presence of an alarm system is enough to deter intruders and to protect the home and its occupants from break-in. In some cases, burglars may still target a home either knowingly or unknowingly when members of the family are inside. For the burglar who enters the home expecting it to be empty, finding members of the family inside can cause enough shock and panic to facilitate aggressive and violent behavior. The outcome in an instant like this can bring about tragedy.
At the same time, many home owners only rely upon smoke alarms to warn them of a fire outbreak, but many home security systems offer an early warning system. Monitored home alarm systems will not only warn home occupants of the presence of smoke in the home, but they will also warn of sources of heat and contact authorities. While heat detectors can be purchased without the installation of a home security system, using a heat detector alone will not signal authorities which may be a feature that you will need without your ability to prepare. Time is the biggest factor in any emergency, you will want to utilize all resources in order to make sure that your loved ones are unharmed.
Protect Your Valuables
Throughout our lifetimes we acquire many items that have varying meaning to us. From items with sentimental value to large purchases, these things represent who we are and represent the accomplishments that we have made. Burglars will only want to place a price tag on your valuables, even those that are priceless to you. As well as signaling authorities that the home has been burgled and increasing the chances that intruders will be caught, the cameras installed with many modern alarm systems can catch the intruders in the act and help the authorities capture the assailants. Having visual documentation of the home intrusion increases the likelihood that the burglar will be identified for the crime committed. Video footage also helps homeowners create a record of what has been taken from their home during a burglary.
Keep an Eye on Your Home Remotely
Many homeowners would like to be able to keep an eye on their home, even while they are away. As technology has advanced, many home alarm systems now allow users to log on to the internet via their computers or smartphone and access their home security system remotely. This type of system allows the home alarm to be remotely armed or disarmed, cameras to be monitored, household lights to be turned off and on, air conditioning or heating to be turned on or changed, and motion detectors to be monitored. All of these functions not only allow homeowners to watch for intruders, but they also help to protect the home remotely. Turning on lights at a specified time through remote access can help to give the illusion that someone is at home even when they are not. Accessing the heating or air conditioning can help to prepare the home for sudden temperature changes to prevent pipe damage and can also help to save on electric or gas bills (especially when you are away on vacation).
Get Medical Assistance When Needed
Medical conditions are a real concern for many homeowners and many home alarm companies offer medical alert pendants or emergency pulls. These types of devices are designed so that individuals can press a button or pull a cord and immediately have emergency services dispatched to their home. Most commonly these types of services are requested by children of elderly parents, family members of sick individuals and those living with loved ones who have special needs. One of the biggest concerns for family members of the elderly is the potential of falling; fortunately, with a medical alert feature, if an elderly person falls at home when they are alone, they can signal the authorities for help immediately. For families of sick or special needs individuals, this service can be used in a similar way, signaling authorities or medical professionals that assistance is needed in the event of seizures or other medical emergencies. This feature is not standard on many home security systems, but is common enough that it can be obtained for a fee.
Additional Benefits to Installing a Home Security System:
- Security systems not only protect family and possessions, but they also provide protection for pets. If a fire were to break out when no one but the family pet was home, without a home alarm system that pet’s fate may be unpredictable.
- Home security systems allow for homeowners to secure less frequented areas of the home such as the basement and the garage. This makes it more difficult for intruders to take their preferred methods of entry into the home and go unnoticed.
- Home security systems mean that homeowners do not have to depend upon neighbors to watch over their home when they are away. There is less chance of human error with alarm systems.
- Home alarm systems prevent home intruders from staying too long if they do gain access to the house since there is a higher likelihood of them being scared away when an alarm is sounding loudly.
- Modern wireless alarm systems are affordable and much easier to set up and maintain than the wired systems of the past.
- Having a home alarm system installed actually increases your home value when it comes to selling your home. As an added bonus, it also keeps your home protected throughout the selling process where a number of strangers will be inside your home.
- Homes with security systems installed have a quicker emergency response time because they cut out the middle man and directly contact authorities for faster dispatch.
- The majority of large home protection companies offer 24/7 monitoring and support of their alarm systems which reduces the likelihood that the alarm system will fail and your home safety would be at risk.
- Some home alarm systems that come equipped with outdoor cameras allow for homeowners and their families to see who is at the front door without going close to it. This feature is particularly useful for families with children of working parents who often have to leave children at home alone.
Facts to Consider
If you still have any doubts about whether or not your home or family could benefit from a home alarm system take a look at some of the following facts:
- Approximately every twenty seconds a home fire is reported.
- The majority of burglars gain entry to the home via the front door, back door and first floor windows.
- Only 13% of reported burglaries are solved by the police.
- Only 15% of property that is stolen in burglaries is ever recovered by the police.